Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Bro Bible

Stories of excessive alcohol abuse, promiscuous sexual activities with multiple partners, and brofessional douchebro-ery?. All in one convenient, caps-lock ridden, poorly edited, New York Times Best-Seller? Well needless to say ladies and gents, we have found our bible.


I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max, self-proclaimed (and now critically acclaimed) douchebag, is a quasi-autobiography recounting the best and the worst of an emerging adulthood characterized by nothing other than the essence of bro.

I read it understanding it has an underground reputation of being on the required reading list for today's college freshmen. Well obviously the situation is different, but I digress. I'd put it on the same list. Other reviewers aren't so smitten.

"A cluster of stories about an overgrown frat boy whose only recreational activities are getting drunk, insulting people and having anonymous and often degrading sex, I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell doesn't know what it wants to be. It clearly is tangentially related to the "don't be like this guy" comedy of Seth McFarlane, Seth Rogen, et al, but also has millions of adoring frat boy fans who find Max' misogynistic alcoholic scumbag to be a positive role model."
- Robert L. Field, 2009

Either way it's worth a read, no matter which end of the boat you're on. I mean hey, even Tucker himself reminds readers:
"...I am an asshole, I get excessively drunk at inappropriate times, disregard social norms, indulge every whim, ignore the consequences of my actions, mock idiots and posers, sleep with more women than is safe or reasonable, and just generally act like a raging dickhead. But I do contribute to humanity in one very important way: I share my adventures with the world."

I recommend "Tucker Goes to Vegas", pg 72.

Stay chill.

1 comment: